Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Challenge To Carry

Now after the rally I came to the conclusion that it was time to make sure I was always in possession of a firearm. After all what good is a firearm at home when you out at the store or to a meal with the family. The choice between carry style as far as Open Carry, in other words out there for all to see. Versus Concealed Carry, hidden from plain view is a personal choice for each person. Some are only one style or the other, and others will mix it up depending on any number of factors.

Personally I prefer to conceal, I'd rather keep the bad guys guessing but again that is me. I'm sure there will be times I have it out in the open, as an example today on the 4th of July I'll have it in plain view in honor of those who picked up the musket and went to war to secure our freedom, and those who served to defend our freedom.

Now my challenge is in response to a woman from the Brady Campaign who decided to see what is was like to own a gun for 30 days and do only the minimum to purchase, be able to carry concealed, and be ready to use in defense of herself and others in private and public. Now I applaud her for stepping outside her comfort zone, certainly it is not easy to do, but I take issue with her idea of minimum required. She had no idea how to clear her new weapon, remove the magazine, or chamber a round to use. Her ignorance shows through by the fact that she never once mentions taking a class to learn to use her firearm.

Here is my main issue with the anti, commonsense law crowd. They know nothing about how a firearm works in reality. All their information seemingly comes from movies, TV shows, and fictional books. Responsible gun owners have commonsense, if we don't know how something works we take a class to get familiar with its operation. Anyone who reads it and doesn't shake their head at her lack of commonsense find a gun owner explain to them how you don't find any issue with her actions and see if they can explain it to you better. If you find me, well I'll Gibbs smack you and then tell you why her behavior needs to be corrected.

At one point near the end it seems as if shes thinking about committing murder in her local Starbucks. I have to call bullshit on that one, just because she bought the firearm doesn't mean it suddenly took control of her free will. Any crime she commits is because of her own free choices, the firearm is tool the thoughts where in her head before she owned it. For her and her ilk it would be an easy thing to blame. In cases like that I think we should blame pencils for misspelled words, forks for making people fat, and cars for DUI accidents.

So this is how I will respond, I will carry everywhere I go that I can legally do so a mix of open and concealed carry to see how it works for me. An American citizen with commonsense, that actually uses his head just like the millions of gun owners who daily manage to think things through and just because we carry doesn't provide an urge to commit murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment